Today’s post is something a little different. Kelley from Kelley’s Dog Blog recently nominated me for the Liebster Award. What a surprise! I have to admit, I wasn’t totally sure what the award was about, but after learning more, it’s a really cool way to recognize and learn a little more about our fellow bloggers. Kelley writes with the unique perspective of being an animal control officer and a true animal lover. Her posts are both interesting and refreshing, so head over to her blog when you’re done here!
Accepting the award means answering 11 questions from the person who nominated you, adding 11 random facts about yourself, then nominating 3-11 fellow bloggers while adding 11 of your own questions for them to answer. Sounds fun, huh? Here we go!
11 Questions Kelley Asked Me
1. Why did you start blogging?
I originally wanted to work on a book or mobile app about dogs, but my son Brandon suggested I try creating a blog first. After giving it some thought, it made a lot of sense. I love how blogging helps me “find my voice” as Brandon would say and it’s been an amazing way of connecting with a lot of interesting and helpful writers.
2. Where do you get your ideas?
My ideas are usually inspired by my dog or from the massive Word document of notes I’ve been jotting down over the years. I also use Evernote to save interesting articles I might want to write about in the future. It’s an easy way to create a library of ideas.
3. What blog-related goals would you like to accomplish in 2015?
Oh my gosh! My blogging to-do list is a mile long, but for 2015, I want to put more focus on social media, local interviews, creating infographics and producing more videos.
4. Besides blogging, what other hobbies do you have?
I love hiking with Haley, traveling, photography, do-it-yourself projects and I really hope to get started on (and finish) a kitchen remodeling project that’s been in the planning phase for years.
5. Who was your first dog?
My first dog was a German Shepherd named Duke. I was pretty young when we had him, but he created some interesting drama and stories, including when he ran off one day and arrived back home with a herd of milk cows that thought our garage looked a lot like a dairy barn!
6. What is your favorite dog breed and why?
If I had to pick a breed, it would probably be a lab or boxer but I prefer mixed breeds or mutts. Haley is a lab/boxer mix and it appears that she got the best qualities of both breeds. I think I could fall in love with almost any dog though.
7. What is your favorite dog product?
That’s a hard one! There are so many great products, but today, I would answer a large, soft-rubber squeaky ball. They’re kind of hard to find, and it’s one of Haley’s favorite winter toys so she can play indoor fetch when it’s below zero outside.
8. Does your dog have a favorite toy or treat?
Haley’s favorite toy is a real basketball and her favorite treats right now are chicken feet. They’re weird looking and kind of gross to hold, but she loves them!
9. What is your favorite thing to do with your dog?
Without a doubt, that would be off-leash hiking. There aren’t many places where we can hike off-leash, but it’s our favorite thing to do.
10. What is your favorite dog themed book or movie?
I especially enjoy books about dog behavior. I’m currently reading “Dog Sense
” by John Bradshaw.
11. What is the best training tip you ever got?
That would have to be how to get your dog to look to you for direction. I’ve highlighted it in the post “Getting Your Dog’s Attention
“. It’s huge for creating a bond with your dog.
11 Random Facts About Me
- I love all kinds of music, from Willie Nelson to Eminem and almost everything in between.
- One of the most attractive qualities I think a person can have is a good sense of humor.
- Being born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, I have no choice but to be a hardcore Steelers fan!
- I still hate pickles and mustard, just like when I was a kid.
- Off-roading somewhere in a Jeep is high on my list of thrilling things to do.
- I tried (and failed) at maintaining a healthy salt water aquarium. It was a sad day when I lost my happy yellow tang.
- I’m getting ready to try my hand at oil painting and hope to create something worthy of hanging over my family room couch. It’ll have to be an abstract painting, because I’m not that artistic.
- I’ve always loved new technology, but I’m uncomfortable with big brother lurking over my shoulder and robots kind of freak me out. Well, on second thought, I could embrace a robotic maid to clean the house.
- I suck at playing checkers, always have!
- I collect pens and resent losing my favorite one (a green, alien-shaped pen with a spring on his head). I know somebody has one out there. Put it on eBay, I’ll buy it!
- I usually say “right” when I mean “left” and vice versa, but I really do know where I’m going. Really, I do! 🙂
And, Without Further Ado—My Nominees!
Tenacious Little Terrier
No Dog About It Blog
K9 of Mine
Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them
Rachele Baker, Veterinarian and Author
Should you accept this award, here are the rules:
- Acknowledge and accept the Liebster Award by leaving a comment on the blog where you were nominated.
- Copy and paste the Liebster logo onto your own blog.
- Link back to the blogger who awarded you.
- Answer the 11 questions put to you by the person who nominated you.
- List 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate and link to 3 to 11 other blogs you enjoy that have less than 3000 followers or are less than 12 months old.
- List 11 questions for your Liebster Award nominees on your blog.
- Inform your nominees by leaving a comment on their blog.
11 Questions for My Nominees
Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Just kidding! What’s your primary motivation for blogging?
- How would you describe your dog’s personality?
- What do you find most frustrating about blogging?
- What do you find most rewarding about blogging?
- What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
- What have you learned from your dog?
- What was the hardest thing to teach your dog?
- What type of articles do you enjoy working on the most?
- If you could share only one piece of wisdom with novice dog owners, what would it be?
- What do you have planned in the near future for your blog?
- What makes you laugh?
Take a few minutes to check out Kelley’s Dog Blog and the excellent blogs of my nominees! They are all packed with entertaining and informative posts. You’ll have fun discovering some new blogs while you pick up some useful tips for your dog. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this post, share it with your friends!